Investing in a gooseneck hideaway hitch dramatically expands the utility of your pickup truck. While your vehicle probably came with a standard receiver hitch, upgrading to a gooseneck hitch increases your cargo capacity, enhances your load distribution, and expands the types of trailers and vehicles you can tow. Most gooseneck hitches are Class V hitches, rated to tow up to 30,000 pounds safely depending on your truck’s capabilities. In this guide, we review industry publications and user ratings to explore the top gooseneck hitches on the market.
What Is a Gooseneck Hideaway Hitch?
A gooseneck trailer hitch connects to a ball mounted in the center of a truck’s bed, which creates balanced weight distribution by shifting the load from the end of the bed to over the rear axle. These hitches offer the highest available towing capacity for noncommercial vehicles. Other benefits of adding a gooseneck hitch to your pickup include:
- Improved handling precision, allowing sharper maneuvers and tighter turns than a standard hitch ball.
- The ability to add fuel tanks and cross-bed toolboxes, which aren’t compatible with most other hitches.
- The removable mount in the truck’s bed keeps your cargo space open and preserves the appearance of your pickup’s exterior (hence the name hideaway hitch).
- Easier installation and maintenance than a fifth-wheel trailer, the main alternative to a gooseneck setup.
- Availability of an adaptor to add a fifth-wheel trailer to a gooseneck hitch.
Types of Gooseneck Hideaway Hitches
Drivers can choose between an above-bed or under-bed gooseneck hitch. A removable above-bed option attaches to standard pickup truck rails. Our top pick in this category is the CURT 61052 Over-Bed Folding Ball Gooseneck Hitch, with a distinctive folding ball design that flips down to accommodate items in your truck bed and flips back up when you need it for a tow. It’s rated at 30,000 pounds and has a rust-resistant powder-coated finish. You can buy brackets for this hitch to create a custom fit for your vehicle. Simple installation does not require welding the frame or removing your truck bed.
The under-bed option, the more common choice, requires the installation of custom rails beneath the pickup’s cargo area. Under-bed gooseneck hitches come in either B&W or OEM options. OEM hitches are designed especially for the make, model, year, and trim of your truck, while the aftermarket B&W hitches add on to your truck and can be removed or stowed away when you don’t need them.
If you’re in the market for a B&W hitch, we recommend the B&W Trailer Hitches 1313 Gooseneck Hitch for Dodge and Ram Trucks, which has a five-star overall rating on Amazon after hundreds of customer reviews. You can install this drilling and welding-free kit by bolting it to existing holes on the frames of compatible trucks. The hitch features a solid steel receiver socket and a flexible spring-loaded steel locking pin. Fans of this model rave about the strength, durability, and precision fit.
Another option is the B&W Trailer Hitches Gooseneck Ball & Safety Chain Kit for Ram Trucks GNXA2062. This highly rated stainless steel hitch works with Ram’s existing puck hitch system for easy installation and has integrated attachments to accommodate safety chain anchors. B&W stands by all its towing products with a lifetime limited warranty, which makes this hitch worth the investment.
How To Choose a Gooseneck Hideaway Hitch
Asking these questions can help guide you to the right gooseneck hitch for your truck:
- What type of trailer do you plan to tow? Is it compatible with the gooseneck hitch? Can your truck handle the weight of both components along with cargo?
- Do you prefer an above-bed or under-bed hitch? The Reese Elite 30137 Under-Bed Gooseneck Kit is an Amazon’s Choice product that has earned hundreds of five-star customer reviews. It features a capacity of up to 30,000 pounds and a secure, easy-to-use locking system. The kit also comes with a storage back, two safety chain covers, and a hole cover. It offers a universal fit for Ford F-250, F-350, and F-450 models; other truck owners can also use this kit with the appropriate aftermarket rails (sold separately).
- Do you want a universal fit or a gooseneck hitch designed just for your truck? The CURT 60618 OEM Puck System Gooseneck Hitch Kit for Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks has an Amazon’s Choice distinction, with a five-star overall rating after nearly 1,000 buyer reviews. It features a 30,000-pound towing capacity, standard 2 5/16-inch gooseneck ball and safety chain anchors for easy drop-in use, machine-forged steel construction, and a corrosion-resistant powder-coat finish. This hitch kit is even packaged in a convenient travel case for use on the go anytime you need a gooseneck handy. For a wider compatibility range try the CURT 60692 OEM Puck System Gooseneck Hitch Kit, a comparable version designed to fit Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500 HD, F-250, F-350, and Nissan Titan XD trucks.
- Do you need a gooseneck hitch and a fifth-wheel hitch? Choose the Andersen Hitches Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel Gooseneck Mount Connection for the best of both worlds. This Amazon’s Choice award winner can be installed or taken down by one person in minutes. Fans appreciate the stable 3-inch adjustable height and greaseless coupler.
How To Install a Gooseneck Hideaway Hitch
Disclaimer: The guidelines in this story are general and not meant to replace instructions for your specific vehicle. Please consult your owner’s manual or repair guide before attempting repairs.
The process for installing a gooseneck hitch varies based on the truck, the hitch, your level of expertise, and other factors. Follow these basic steps for DIY gooseneck hitch installation, but consult the product manual as your foremost guide.
- Drill a hole in the center of the truck bed.
- Secure the ball mount for the gooseneck in the opening.
- Bolt the hitch assembly to the truck frame as indicated by the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test the trailer and hitch for proper and safe alignment and function.
While some people can easily complete this job at home, others should consider professional hitch installation.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io