Summary List Placement
Hi and welcome to Insider Advertising for May 7. I’m senior advertising reporter Lauren Johnson, and here’s what’s going on:
If this email was forwarded to you, sign up here for your daily insider’s guide to advertising and media.
Experts say Peloton will emerge from the treadmill recall with its bottom line intact — even as its delay in issuing a recall exposes larger safety issues
- Peloton recalled its two treadmills on Wednesday, following regulator and consumer group pressure.
- Bethany Biron reported that product safety and legal experts say Peloton is likely to face lasting reputational damage.
- Others say the company is likely to prevail, thanks to its rabid fanbase and flagship bikes.
Buzzy audio app Clubhouse just chose 50 influencers to host pilot shows this month, from ‘Serial Killer Speed Dating’ to ‘The Psychic Pool Party’
- Audio-only app Clubhouse recently announced the first cohort of its “Creator First Program.”
- The 50 selected influencers will receive a $5,000 monthly stipend for three months.
- From shows dissecting K-pop to a hangout space for psychics, there will be something for everyone.
Pornhub has been in acquisition talks with an investor group led by a Canadian cannabis entrepreneur
- Pornhub has been in talks to sell to an investor group led by Chuck Rifici, a former official of Canada’s Liberal Party, sources tell Steven Perlberg and Jeremy Berke.
- It’s unclear if Rifici has raised money for the deal or if other investors are involved.
- Lawmakers in Canada are going after Pornhub after recent controversies.
More stories we’re reading:
- A 5-step plan for creators in choosing the best influencer agencies and talent managers that will boost their careers, according to experts (Insider)
- Uber CEO describes ongoing ‘battle’ with Instacart as he predicts groceries will become a significant portion of his company’s business in the next 2 years (Insider)
- Nike and Adidas saw their online sales plummet in China over the Xinjiang cotton boycott (Insider)
- Twitter will let you give someone money as a ‘tip’ for their tweets (Insider)
- The Athletic halts merger talks With Axios, eyes New York Times (Wall Street Journal)
- NBC, Lilly Singh to end late-night show (Variety)