HARLOE is one of the rising acts we’re most excited about here at Just Jared, and we want out readers to get an exclusive chance to get to know her even better!
The Queens-bred singer-songwriter, who grew up playing piano and attended the Clive Davis Institute, first gained recognition through singing videos uploaded on YouTube, eventually being recognized and asked to write tracks alongside superstars like Ne-Yo.
After her debut album as an artist was shelved, she moved back home before being invited to Los Angeles to write songs, eventually penning tracks for Charli XCX, Celine Dion and Britney Spears. She also got a Grammy nomination for co-writing Ella Mai‘s “Run My Mouth,” as well as working on song for Kelly Clarkson‘s Meaning of Life. And now, she’s back to making music for herself.
Click inside to read more…
The rising star just dropped her latest single, “PWR RNGR,” on Wednesday (October 20), which features Chicago rapper Mick Jenkins.
“‘PWR RNGR’ is a celebration of feeling strong and confident in your own skin. Feeling like a teenager with crazy passion and excited emotions, all because you let your guard down. It’s that balance between allowing yourself to be vulnerable but also self-assured. Sometimes it feels so good to let go!” she says of the song.
“Growing up, I was obsessed and inspired by the fashion in the MTV era of music videos. ‘Case of the Ex’ by Mya was everything to me. The denim and texture of the outfits mixed with the metallic tones and the choreography laced with so much attitude was literal perfection. Christina Aguilera, Jlo, and so many of those early 2000s videos stuck with me and shaped my creativity so now I’m so excited to have created my own,” she explains.
Watch the “PWR RNGR” video and check out 10 Fun Facts about HARLOE…
1. My mom is from Romania and I speak Romanian and love cooking the culture’s food. Growing up, it was always the language we used to talk shit when we didn’t want people to understand us. Lol 😜
2. My sister sings too and growing up we learned songs together to sing at school talent shows. She ended up becoming an opera singer which is super cool! She’s amazing!
3. I picked up playing keytar because I would walk past a Guitar Center everyday on my way to the studio and I’d always see this used one that was on sale. One day, the sales associate took extra money off the price just to unload it and get me out of the store!
4. I love doing Zumba so much. It’s probably my favorite thing in life. Makes me feel so free and refreshed after. Salsa is my jam.
5. Growing up, I always wanted to be a dentist. I would specifically ask my parents to let me brush their teeth. I gave my dad a full cleaning at the kitchen table. Very odd, don’t judge me.
6. My laugh sounds eerily close to SpongeBob.
7. Growing up, I was obsessed with the musical “Rent”! I would walk home from middle school with the soundtrack blaring through my headphones and I would do full blown choreography I made up myself. I must have looked interesting to the neighbors!
8. I record vocals as total jibberish and usually I’ll add words later on that sound like the mumbles I recorded!
9. Growing up as a kid, I was a figure skater! I competed locally and even went on the ice at 6am before school to train. My favorite performance was being Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. I was so excited to have a beanie baby of Toto, her dog in my basket. Living in LA, I haven’t been back on the ice.
10. When I was about 7ish years old, my mom would make me learn Lionel Richie songs on the piano, like “Hello,” so that she could use the mic and sing them for people when they came over for dinner. I get my superpowers from my mom. “PWR RNGR” is out now!