The child had been playing with magnets at school before taking them home to make jewels for a doll in Lewes, Sussex. Over a number of days she swallowed 23 of the strong magnets
A mum has issued a stark warning after her six-year-old girl had to be rushed to hospital for life-saving surgery after swallowing 23 magnets.
The child had been playing with magnets at school before taking them home to make jewels for a doll in Lewes, Sussex.
Over the course of a few days, she swallowed 23 of the strong magnets which ripped through her bowel.
The NHS surgeon who performed an emergency operation said the magnets were ‘potentially fatal’.
The girl’s mum, named only as Tanith, said the magnets were shown being used to imitate tongue piercings in TikTok videos.
The family had found more magnets in the little girl’s bedroom.
According to the BBC her mum said “I want to warn parents about the dangers of their children playing with magnets.
“I want to reinforce how dangerous these magnets really are.”
Tanith said her daughter told her the magnets ‘felt nice’ in her mouth as she played with them.
The magnets were so strong they clamped together in her intestines after she swallowed them.
She first started having stomach pains on 12 September, and had been vomiting for two days when they took her to see their GP.
When she did not improve they took her to the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital where she was diagnosed with appendicitis.
When surgeons began the operation to remove her appendix they found a string of magnets in her bowel.
Consultant paediatric surgeon Costa Healy, who performed the operation, said the magnets can cause life-changing injuries and are ‘potentially fatal’.
“The vast majority of time we get there in time to save them, but if I was a parent with this type of magnets in the house, I’d be getting rid of them.”
The girl was discharged last Monday and is now recovering at home.
“She’s been through major surgery and it’s been overwhelming for her, and she’s got a scar about 10cm long” her mother said.
“It could have been much worse – there’s no permanent damage. We were looking at the possibility of her needing to have a stoma.”
Meanwhile, in a similar incident in Scotland earlier this month a nine-year-old boy nearly died after swallowing magnets for a TikTok challenge.
He swallowed two magnet balls after taking part in a viral TikTok prank, which resulted in him needing urgent surgery.
A primary school in Stirling shared a post informing parents of the dangers of the TikTok challenges after the boy needed ‘serious and life-changing surgery’.
The NHS has issued an alert after least 65 children were admitted to hospital for urgent surgery in the last three years after swallowing these magnets.